Thursday 26 July 2012

Weekday Pasta




This is definitely not a baking post, but this is one of my all-time favourite dinners to make, so I figured it was worth sharing anyway.  This spaghetti is a dish that I often cook on busy evenings when spending more than 15 minutes on dinner just isn't an option.  It's a great one to do as I usually always have the core ingredients in my pantry, and I can fill it out with whatever's in my fridge.

Diced tomatoes are a staple in my pantry.  Every so often I buy a whole tray of 16 cans and it's amazing how quickly I use them up in various recipes.  I'm really into using fresh garlic cloves at the moment.  I've always used minced garlic from a jar, thinking it would last longer and be more convenient than cloves.  I recently bought a fine grater, and since then I've loved crushing up a garlic clove or two whenever I need it.  It really does taste more delicate and exciting, I've definitely been converted!  Fresh basil, on the other hand, is not something I usually have readily available.  I hate buying bunches of fresh herbs.  I spend $3 or $4 on the whole bunch, only end up using half, and then it's all shriveled up and gross before I try and use it again.  Gourmet Garden herbs are a lifesaver for me.  I have about six different herbs in my freezer ready to use whenever I need them, and I definitely think they taste just as good as fresh.  I use a good squeeze or two of basil when I cook up this pasta.  I will set up a herb garden for myself eventually (maybe when our house is built) but until then, tubes are fine for me!

Today I cooked this up with mushrooms and rocket, but there are so many combinations you could try!  Some of my favourites include prosciutto and asparagus, ricotta and spinach, garlic prawn and basil leaves, and many more.  I always try and top it with something bright green, as the contrast against the red tomato sauce is just so deliciously enticing.

It tastes great, so easy, and a delicious way to use up leftovers, but best of all, the sauce is cooked and ready to go by the time the spaghetti is done!


Basic Recipe:

Serves two

200g spaghetti (or more if you want leftovers for tomorrow)
2 cloves garlic
2 tins crushed or diced tomato
1 handful basil, finely chopped (or 1 tbs Gourmet Garden Basil Paste)
Olive oil
Shaved or grated parmesan
Whatever fillings you have available (suggestions include mushrooms, garlic prawns, chicken, prosciutto, ricotta, rocket, spinach, or whatever else you feel like!)

Cook spaghetti according to packet instructions.  Finely chop the garlic and heat it up with the oil in a large pan.  If you are adding meat to the sauce, cook it now.  Add the tomato to the pan and heat through.  Stir in the basil and allow the sauce to simmer.  If you are adding any vegetables that need to cook/wilt, add them now.  If you are adding rocket or anything else you want fresh, leave it to the very end.  Once the spaghetti is cooked through, drain in a colander and add to the pan.  Stir the sauce through the pasta and serve.  Top with parmesan and any rocket/spinach/leafy greens you have.


No comments:

Post a Comment