Saturday 21 July 2012

Blue Vanilla Macarons (and the start of my blog)



Welcome to my first ever blog entry.  After reading and getting excited about so many Australian Baking Blogs, I decided it was high time I started my own.  This is where I can share with the world my triumphs and epic fails in the world of baking, especially MACARONS.  Macarons (note: NOT macaroons) are my favourite things in the world to bake.  Apart from being unbelievably delicious and ever so pretty, I always get such a sense of satisfaction after successfully baking a batch of beautifully smooth, shiny, chewy, sweet macarons.  They're incredibly temperamental and stubborn - you do one thing slightly wrong and the whole batch is messed up.  That's why it's so exciting to bake a great batch.  This school holidays I have baked three batches of macarons and I'm slowly figuring out what works and what doesn't.  I've tried a number of recipes and techniques, and I've figured out that for me, the best recipe is a slightly modified version of Adriano Zumbo's macaron recipe.  I'll type it up in my next post, but for now, for your viewing pleasure, I'll leave you with my Blue Vanilla Macarons I baked for Women's Preaching Group this morning.  Usually you'd only make blue shells if they matched the flavour of the filling (blueberry or something), but I LOVE blue sweets.  There's something gorgeously exciting about seeing that bright, artificially coloured blue M&M,  lovely fluffy blue iced cupcake, and cute blue polka-dot macaron shell.  I chose to fill the shells with vanilla ganache because, aside from being so quick and easy, it's by far one of my favourite fillings.  (Blue Vanilla was the name I wanted to give this blog, but it was already taken.  Bummer.)  I'm hoping that as my baking adventures continue that my colour/flavour combinations can become more original and experimental, but for now, here are my crazy-cute Polka-Dot Blue Vanilla Macarons.









No comments:

Post a Comment